Shark attacks could set new record in 2016

A possible shark sighting at Corona del Mar State Beach closes the shoreline on Sunday, May 29, 2016.

Also on Sunday, 13-year-old boy was bitten by a shark at Neptune Beach in Florida, CBS affiliate WJAX reported.

The last stretch of California shoreline that was closed after a weekend shark attack has been reopened.

Surgeons repaired the massive wound with a shape that Rotter described as "obviously a mouth". "You can see individual marks from individual teeth".

The victim, identified by medical officials as 52-year-old Maria Korcsmaros, was pulled from the Pacific Ocean by lifeguards on a patrol boat on Sunday about 150 yards off the shore of Newport Beach after she was seen in distress, said Mary Locey, a spokeswoman for the city. Korcsmaros is expected to survive her injuries, but doctors said it was still too early to know whether she will regain full use of her arm.

It's unknown what type of shark attacked Korcsmaros, but a shark expert with Cal State Long Beach tells the Times the wounds suggest it was a great white more than 10 feet long.

Dr. Humberto Sauri says Maria Korcsmaros was alert and remarkably calm when she came to the emergency room with multiple cuts and fractured ribs.

The file's director George Burgess said this weekend that people's continued love of fun in the sun and surf would likely lead to even more attacks this year.

Scientists believe the white shark population off California has been increasing, Lowe said.

"This is the sort of thing we expect to see increase", Lowe said.

Still, he noted that shark attacks remain rare events.

The International Shark Attack File said that 2015 saw the highest-ever numbe of unprovoked attacks, 98, which broke the record of 88 set in 2000.

She will be hospitalized for at least another week.

The hospital press conference was interrupted when someone in the audience apparently fainted as doctors described the wounds.

Lifeguards and city officials could not confirm a shark bit the mother of three but still moved to protect beachgoers.

Brent Jacobsen, Newport Beach lifeguard battalion chief, confirmed Wednesday morning that all beaches and ocean waters associated with the incident are now open.

Lifeguards cleared the water from the state beach to the Newport Pier, a stretch of more than two miles.

The attack happened off Corona del Mar beach around 4:15 p.m. Sunday.

Сomo este

Más reciente